Searching

Friday, September 29, 2017

A Hateful Prayer

I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.” Psalm 35:14


As difficult as it is to pray for our enemies, it is a form of cleansing our souls.  If we pay close attention to what David is saying about his type of prayer and follow his example, curses will turn to blessings. I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother:”

If our intent when praying for those that despitefully use us is to cause them harm, we pray out of hate rather than love.  The love approach will always win but one of hate deepens our sorrow. “I bowed down heavily”

When concerning prayer David compares his enemies to his own mother. He prays for them in the same manner he does for the one he is closest to.  His prayer isn’t simply a few words but they are gut wrenching words with the expression of mourning. “as one that mourneth for his mother.”


My mind was full of hate for my foe.
Wishing him harm from the depths of my soul.

Oh, but then came, a whisper to my ear.
“Remember what you were!”, 
And the words were made clear.

Then I saw myself, and where I had been.
Remembering all the sorrow I had caused HIM.

I’ve asked for forgiveness and now as I pray,
Please help them Lord Jesus in the same way.


“Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.” 1 Peter 5:5-7




No comments:

Post a Comment